Thursday, July 14

A good daughter for once....

I hate raffles. I really really hate them. I never win. Have never won, and thought I would never win. Now, I know a lot of people that say that they never win anything, but I am the true exception to the odds - I REALLY never win anything like that. I have never even bothered to buy a lottery ticket because no matter how many I bought (even if I was the only one holding all the tickets), I wouldn't win. Or so I thought.

Today, at DU's Staff Appreciation Day, all of DU's staff met out in front of DCB and had a picnic. Now, the food wasn't paid for by DU, but my office (CTL) paid for all of us to go. Some of that money went to buying little presents to be raffled off to the attendees. They were giving away lots of stuff - most of which sounded very nice - $25 at Hansons (that's a lotta half-price burgers), $25 at Sushi Den, $50 at the Bookstore. They even gave away two 6 month memberships to the Coors Fitness Center (which employees usually have to pay for). As it was winding down, they go to call the name for one of the last prizes: a free attendance voucher for a class under University College's Enrichment Program. Oddly enough, they called MY NAME. But I was busy talking to a friend, so I didn't hear it (why would I be paying attention when I NEVER win anything?). A coworker shouts out, "AMY! You won! Go up there!" I thought he was kidding. It would have been funny to tell a coworker they had won when they didn't and have them go up on stage and make a fool out of themselves (good idea for next time). But that wasn't the case - I had actually won!

So, now, what do I do with my $200-ish prize? I was thinking of taking an art class or an opera appreciation class, and now that I have the voucher to do so.... Naaahhhh, I think I am going to give it to my mom. Ever since she retired, she has been talking about going back to school for some fun classes, and this would be the perfect opportunity. And they have a couple literature classes that she would love. Doubt she would sign up for the class good ol' Tim Sisk teaches on peace negotiations (the one I was most excited by), but I know she would find something she would like!

So, apparently Mother's Day was postponed this year until July 13th. Well, actually, until next Monday when I see her. Since I didn't buy her anything this past May (I am the worst daughter ever), I think she deserves this gift. Sometimes, I forget to remind her how much I have appreciated her help and support all these years. I can't think of a person that I would want to have it more. Yay for raffles!

1 comment:

Albouri Ndiaye said...

Well congratulation for winning your first prize!
and good luck with your medical clearances