Sunday, November 20

Driving the cities of West Africa

This is what driving in Monrovia, Liberia looks like. It's a picture from BBC News, and has the caption: life returns to normal.

Normal? Now, I am a girl from Jersey. I know traffic circles, let me tell you. But I am still not sure what exactly is going on driving-wise in this picture. Who has the right of way, and don't those two yellow cars look like they are about to crash? Oh, and there are two more yellow cars about to clear the intersection that look like they already have! Yes, those two yellow ones right in front of the Red Cross SUV. And there are people scattered throughout the street. How, in heaven's name, do they know when to cross? And which cars are parked and which ones are moving? I guess if I were there in real life, this might make a bit more sense?

Now, I know that I am supposed to be writing about utilizing "intergrated development" to better solve the long-term problems of refugee populations, but I am instead rereading the BBCNews Africa page, like I do way too frequently. I always find some picture to stare at and try to imagine myself there - listening to the sounds, smelling the scents, truly placing myself within the picture. And this picture has made me feel one way only: thankful. Thankful that I will NOT be living in Conakry or Monrovia or Dakar or whatever other city's traffic must look like this. I prefer to cross the street without feeling the need to pray.

2 comments:

heatherfeather said...

okay, this whole thing made me have the laughing. not in the "ha ha you're going to africa" way, but in the, that's freakin' funny. the picture, the commentary. all of it.

in other news, the marilyn horne (opera singer) foundation is having (or already had) a concert at DU featuring an opera singer (i'd assume) named Charles Taylor.

i did a double take driving down university.

Yaymee said...

hmmm..... it would really suck to share a name with a former dictator wanted by international courts. although i assume that charles taylor is a pretty common name. unlucky bastards....

I sure do hope that no one with my name ever commits such crimes!