Saturday, November 5

Re-Energized

Ten Great Things That Happened to Me Tonight:

1) I left work an hour early.

2) For $3 I replaced the battery in my car clicker thing (aka keyless entry remote)! Who knew Batteries Plus existed?

3) I was made fun of by Rob in front of a classroom of people for still having his Ripples of the Zambezi book.

4) I learned about this really cool Bulgarian crafts organization that I want to buy stuff from to furnish my next home. Hey, it can't all be from Africa.

5) I walked into the ISAID/Peace Corps Community conference as Bernie was presenting about sex, drugs, and drinking.

6) During the breakout session, I was one of the two MIs in a room full of RPCVs from Africa. Got great answers to my questions.

7) I realized I am leaving in two months. Which is less time than a quarter at DU.

8) Chris handed me an African mask from Namibia and told me to smell it. "It smells like the market where I bought it."

9) On ONE single plate, I had Zambian collard greens, Sierra Leonian chicken, baklava, and some Armenian meat wrapped in grape leaves. Peace Corps shin-digs feed you well.

10) I got tipsy at the GSIS again.

Well, folks, I have been reinspired. I am ready for Africa!

3 comments:

Yaymee said...

it was amazing! it smelled like nothing i had ever smelled before. but i guess i will smell my own african markets in a couple months. cant wait!

Anonymous said...

awesome! did they talk to you about projects? I think/dream about africa, I would say, 6 total hours every day.

Yaymee said...

Oh, honey, me too! Although it may be more like 8 hours a day! and I think all my friends are tired of me talking about it by now!

There was a break-out session devoted to SED, but the two guys who led it were from Armenia and Bulgaria. Good ideas, but I think things will be different for us in Guinea!