Thursday, April 27

My New Favorite

I am in love. 3km away from Siguiri, high on top of a hill, lies St. Alexi. It is a town full of Christians (not a single Muslim), with its own simple church and a giant mango plantation. I have begun to work with a group of masons up there, and each visit gets better and better. They are incredibly welcoming, like all Malinke, but St Alexi’s has a special appeal – honey wine and pork. And that is why I am in love. See, Muslims don’t drink, so Guineans are not very creative with their spirits. Skol, Guiluxe, pretty much all you find around here. But those Christians up on the hill have a special home brew made of honey that is absolutely delicious. Muslims also don’t eat pork, but up on the hill the Christians do. I tried to explain bacon to them, and I am convinced that by the end of two years, I will be eating BLTs and sipping honey wine with the Christians up on the hill.

1 comment:

inseattle said...

dontcha love those Christians!