Friday, April 7

Rain dance?

t’s fucking hot

It’s fucking hot. That’s all we say around here. Seriously, it’s too hot to do much between the hours of, well, all the time. The volunteers in the cooler mountainous Fouta region took a hike a few days ago. I also took a hike here in the hot savannah – I hiked downstairs to get ice cream and then came back up to the bureau. Let me tell you – Haute is HOT.

Last night there was an hour long break in the devil’s heat – it rained. It rained like I have never seen it rain here in Guinea. Since arriving in Africa last January, it has “rained” twice, but after seeing the rain last night, I don’t consider those other two times real rain anymore. Last night, you could feel the humidity building and the breeze pick up. Slowly, thunder and lightening approached, and we headed back to the Kankan hotel before the sky ripped open. Sitting outside, enjoying a Fanta and some French fries, I felt my first rain drop. I almost cried tears of joy. It sprinkled for a bit – not enough to force us to move inside though. I went up to my hotel room and began reading, thinking the real rain would never come. Then, after a half hour or so, the sky let loose and all I could hear was the deafening sound of rain on the tin roofs of Kankan. I ran out to the covered balcony and just watched it POUR. I watched the beautiful rain and felt it cool down the air and I actually got goosebumps. I sat on that balcony for an hour, just listening to the wonderful sound of water falling in the savannah. It was amazing.

And then it got hot. I woke up in the middle of the night sweating, wishing it would rain again to break the heat once more. I guess, as we approach the wet season (which is still actually a month or two away), the rains will become more and more frequent, and then after months of rain, I will crave dryness once again.

But right now, I want another rain. Anyone know a good rain dance??



3 comments:

heatherfeather said...

it's so rare to actually appreciate rain.

for instance, today it rained and it just annoyed me. i wish i had loved it too...

mmmm...ice cream!

Yaymee said...

ice cream is a luxury only found here in Kk and across country in conakry. maybe they will open one in siguiri soon. i hope so bc i am going to miss it!!!

Albouri Ndiaye said...

O how i love your blogs amy!

Wouldnt it be cooler if they had ice-cream donkeys in your village though?