Wednesday, May 3

Tomorrow, I am heading to Kankan with Keelin, Rob, and my counterpart, Fodé. Although I have been very very happy at site, during those moments of lonliness, isolation, and boredom, I have been dreaming of Kankan. A month ago, it seemed so far away, but now it’s here and I can’t wait. I will get to see my fellow volunteers to see how everyone likes site; I will get to eat Mexican food; I will get to eat chicken; I will get to party (Haute-style) for Cinco de Mayo; I will get to talk to my mom and Reid on the phone (knock on wood); and I get to relax and only work if I want to.

I can’t believe that only a month ago, I was arriving at site. I was terrified, not knowing how I would eat without the Kouyaté family in Forecariah to feed me. I wasn’t sure how I would start work or how to find my way around town or how to do anything. Now, I am settled in nicely (although I still don’t have my griage or furniture). I have fallen in love with Siguiri, and I am kind of sad to know that I am not going to be sleeping in my bed for the next few nights.

I really can't wait to see how everyone has been doing at site. I hope we all made it through and plan to stay!

1 comment:

NancyW said...

Amy,
If you happen to see my daughter - Lisa when you go to KanKan, please ask her to email. We haven't heard from her since she left KanKan a month ago. I am sure it is because the mail is slow and she probably doesn't have internet connection in Dinguraiye.
Thank you,
Nancy White