Monday, June 19

Little Parasites Trying to Kill Me

So, apparently, there is a good chance that I have malaria. I have all the tell-tale signs:

fever (103.8)
chills followed by sweating
worst headaches of my life
body aches
fatigue
and it all gets worse in the afternoon

When I spoke with my PCMO, Dr. Traian, he told me there was a good possibility it was malaria. He told me I had to make the malaria slides - which involves pricking your own finger and dripping your blood on glass slides. It's not as fun as I make it sound, believe me. Eww.

I am on an anti-malarial (meflaquin) that I have taken weekly very religiously since leaving the US. So, this bout of malaria shouldn't be too bad. It does frustrate me that I take such a controversial drug weekly and I still get malaria. Whatever. At least I am going to survive. I guess I should be thankful that I take the meflaquin weekly, and that I don't have to worry too much about this getting really bad. In addition, I just started a treatment cycle of Coartem - 4 pills every 12 hours for 3 days. All should be good by the day after tomorrow.

Anyway, I do feel better today than I did yesterday, although it is not the afternoon yet, so it may go downhill later - I have no idea. What a strange disease - to get worse only in the afternoons. Weird parasite.

Eww. There are parasites running around in my blood trying to kill me. Gross.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do hope you feel better. Take care of yourself, and thanks for updating even when you are sick.

inseattle said...

sorry to hear about malaria. sounds like it sucks, especially when the temperature around you basically equals your fever. hope you get better soon. love ya, miss ya!

Yaymee said...

Thanks for your support! I am feeling better today. My case of malaria was relatively minor because I have religiously taken my lariam every week, even though there are so many unwanted side effects. So, Lariam is my best friend right now, even though it gives me weird dreams and makes me very very forgetful. Yay Lariam!

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you got malaria already! What a great attitude you have. Well, I am thinking of you and hoping for as quick a recovery as possible. I guess this will be a good story later in life. Love, Anna