Friday, August 11

finally a sophomore

This past week, the new stagiers have arrived up country for their site visits, making our group from January not freshmen anymore. I left Denver exactly 7 months ago, yesterday, and it's a great feeling to not be a newbie anymore. I can't really believe I have been here that long, but the G-12ers (the new group) make me feel like an old expert on all things Guinean. We show them around Kankan, telling them which rice bars to go to and which place serves the coldest beers. It's quite a new experience to not be the one taking advice from your elders, but to be an elder yourself!

It's also been great reminiscing about my site visit so many months ago. I remember:
-tearing up on the porch of my office when my counterpart told me he was going home for the night and I was to be left all alone.
-feeling thrilled to walk out of town in the direction of Mali and see the sign that I was 70 km from the border
-almost dying on our crazy taxi ride back to Forecariah, and then pushing the taxi up the hill in Coyah
-being so afraid I wouldn't have food and wouldn't know how to get any, but then food (in ample amounts) would just show up
-not feeling confident in my Malinke salutations
-buying bottled Coyah water in Siguiri, even though there was a pump right outside
-being so impressed by Keelin's ease in crazy Siguiri
-crossing the Niger for the first time in a pirogue
-feeling like I had finally arrived in Africa
-my first Haute party :) and the morning after :(
-not knowing how I would ever actually be comfortable at site

And now look at me. I have started referring to Siguiri as "home." My work has been established, and I am settled. To the new stagiers, I probably look like Keelin looked to me 6 months ago. It's a great confidence booster and a reminder of how far I have actually come. I really love this job.

On another note, our monthly party theme for tonight is "White Trash Trailer Bash," and Bob Dake, one of our resident Southerners has taken charge in all the planning. He even helped me out with my costume, which you will all see pictures of one Guinean day sometime soon (aka, six months from now). The new stagiers are going to experience what the Haute is all about tonight, and they will soon understand why we all pride ourselves on being Hauters, the toughest, wildest region of all (sorry, my Fouta and Bas Cote people).

I will be writing more very soon. Bye guys!

No comments: