Tuesday, September 26

Let There Be MORE Light!

__________________________________________________

Entry written out by hand due to lack of computer on September 5th
__________________________________________________

It finally happened!

After internet fled Siguiri, I thought my Posh Corps days were over. Even ice cream didn't make site posh to me. Hey, there is only so much sugar-flavored ice cream a girl can eat. But yesterday, everything changed. On my way back home from the office at noon, carrying pots of lemongrass and mint (a present to take to Reid), I stopped to say hello to the El Hadj Mr. Berete, the godfather of the family. I asked for the 10th time about electricity, but this time was different. With lemongrass and mint in tow, El Hadj led me to the family electrician, Moussa. We decided I would buy all the wire and switches and for $6, Moussa would give me light.

We spent the afternoon installing wire and sockets and by the evening, I was cooking with real, better-than-day light! And charging my cell phone! At the same time! I called my mom and paced the length of my room bathed in beautiful articicial light. I can't tell you how much easier cooking dinner is with light! And someday soon, I will buy a fan - how posh.

Funny thing though - As I was talking to my mom on the phone, ranting and raving about light, it began to pour and I had to put her on hold to put my buckets outside to collect the rain. "Hey, I still don't have running water!" I joked to her. But you won't find me complaining. I can't wait for the sun to go down tonight so I can have a reason to turn on my new lights!

No comments: