Thursday, November 23

Thankgiving, Conakry Style

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! This is only my second Thanksgiving spent internationally, but it’s definitely not as sad as the first. Sara, Chris, Josh, and Heather – do you remember our Thanksgiving in Freiburg? Do you remember having class that morning? Do you remember arguing over the last of the mashed potatoes? Do you remember how much we all missed our families? I sure do. This year isn’t as bad though.

Nadia and Chris at Thanksgiving 2001, Freiburg, Germany

First of all, it doesn’t really feel like Thanksgiving. It’s hot and humid, and there is certainly no talk of snow in the high-country. Second of all, there is no sign of Christmas yet. Nor do I think there will be here in my mostly Muslim home. It’s a strange feeling, although I am glad it leaves me a bit disconnected from the holiday spirit – it’s a little less painful this way.

I will, however, eat some turkey and stuffing tonight. We are having a HUGE Thanksgving dinner in the capital, Conakry, at the Country Director's house. I am really excited to eat Patience's amazing cooking and spend time with my adopted family - Peace Corps Guinea.

In the true spirit of this holiday, I do want to remember how thankful I am for my friends and family. Since I have moved to Guinea, I have become even more aware of how important you all are to me. I couldn’t be doing this without you. The support you have given me over the last year has been amazing, and I don’t even know where to begin to properly thank you.

Today, on Thanksgiving, I received two packages, again reminding me of how great my friends and family are. Just seeing the return addresses on the packages made me jump up and down – literally. Koumba and Aunt Lisa! Seeing those two names made my day – it didn’t even matter what was inside those boxes. Thank you, Schneiders and Koumba. I love you and miss you.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone. I love and miss you. I will write more soon.

No comments: