Sunday, July 31

Another Saturday Night.... Another Salsa Update

Ok, so yet once again, I find myself sitting downstairs late on a Saturday night after an evening of salsa dancing. I am always so pumped by the time I get home that I can't sleep. My feet are still moving, and that's not very conducive to laying down. Oh, it might also have something to do with how late I sleep every Saturday morning (being that Peace Corps is closed on Saturdays, and they can't wake me up to invite me to go live in Morocco).

Anyway, as usual, I am off topic already within the first paragraph. So, back to the Saturday night salsa update. Tonight, it was Anna, Pei, Abe, and I. A perfect size group made up of not-so-perfect salsa dancers. Pei and I were sporting new skirts, and I even had a new pair of dancing shoes! Apparently the new skirt and shoes worked - I got to dance with a bunch of guys and at one point, one man asked me to dance from my right side, and while I was saying no bc I needed a water break, another asked me from my left. I kid you not - Pei and Anna witnessed it - ask them if you don't believe me. Oh, and of course, at the end of the night, when we had all gotten ready to leave, a guy I had watched for weeks asked me to dance. He moves like (insert impressive analogy here) - believe me - I have watched him from afar for weeks, but I had to say no. Maybe next week.

As always, some dances with various men were fun, some were overwhelmingly complicated, some were "eh." I danced the merengue tonight with one man who - I kid you not - did not even spin me once. We danced for what seemed like forever, marching back and forth to the merengue beat with NO VARIATION for, like, 7 minutes. But then I met Christian from Peru, who I danced with the rest of the night. Somehow, he made me dance better. Now, there are good leaders out there - ones that let you know exactly where they want you to go - I always said that our Simon had that talent. But Christian was something else. I felt the music and stopped thinking about how to dance and just did it. It felt great. I think it was because he was so cute and smelled so good, what do you think? But anyhow, I am really getting a lot better at this salsa thing. Something clicked tonight. I told y'all that I would out-dance yo' mama with time, and it looks like I am going to live up to that.

1 comment:

mizzzthanggg said...

awhhh... loved this post ;)
it's great to be able to dance when it all comes together, isn't it? salseras of the world unite!