Sunday, July 10

What's the funnest way to practice your spanish skillz this side of the border?

Go salsa-ing at La Rumba in Denver. Yes, my feet hurt today from my heels, but it was all worth it!

We went out with a CC-alumni group - Simon, Anna, Andrew, Kaylee, and I got there around 11ish and it was PACKED. Let me tell you - Andrew can't salsa worth sheisse, but he sure thinks he can when he is a bit tipsy! Simon, as always, was spectacular - twirling us girls around and around. And we all danced with some new people too - it was very good we went with an odd number of girls and guys - forced us to not only dance with one another. I danced with this one man who was so good - good rhythm and he spun me so much that I got a bit dizzy - absolutely the most fun!

The nicest thing about last night was this: although I was having a great time dancing with guys, at no point was I touched inappropriately. Not that I mind the traditional American dancing scene too much, it was just nice to have that change. At the most, men would ask you to dance again or if you wanted a drink or if you planned on coming back. Everyone I met was a gentleman. Well, except Fernando, but I am going to ignore that fact.

As much fun as Anna and I were having dancing with all of these strange men, we did realize one sad fact: we suck at salsa dancing. I mean, we have the best of intentions, and we were truly having fun. And having honest fun is what dancing is all about, right? No. We still sucked. I could handle the basic moves, and I could follow the guy decently well, but as soon as he spun me around, I would lose the beat - I was too focused on staying on my feet. I would get back to facing him and have to re-figure out the steps. So, that is defintely an area I have to work on. Well, Anna and I are now researching where we can take cheap/free salsa lessons - anyone interested in joining us?

One thing I need before we begin though - a new pair of dancing shoes! Wait, didn't I just vow to buy NO MORE SHOES?! Oh well, you do need proper equipment when starting a new sport, and dancing shoes will be the only equipment needed for our new hobby. I am so good at justifying shoe expenditures. Damn.

No comments: