Friday, August 19

I rule.


Today, my daypack and I had some issues. Basically it was because I hated the thing. When I bought it, I thought I would be super-cool because I had a pack that had a hook-thingy specifically for an icepick. How hot is that? Ok, maybe you have to live in Colorado to understand, but it's cool, believe me. But, after I had brought this pack home (displayed on the left), I realized I didn't carry an icepick...like...ever. Yes, I was an icepick-poser. The pack also had a hip belt that I thought would be useful for making long journeys with a heavy load, but I never used this feature either. Like the icepick loop, it kinda-sorta really got in the way.

The reason that this is such a big deal now is that I am trying to figure out my budget for the stuff I need for Guinea. It's gonna be expensive, so I am going to try to spread the spending out (to successfully moderate my cashflow). Anyway, since I HATED my stupid pack, I thought I might need a new one. But, alas, I realized that I could just use a pair of scissors and try to cut off the unwanted appendages. At the worst, I would hate it more and still have to buy a new one. So, I went to it and tried to cut off the offending pieces. Then I realized that this is a true Jansport pack that even a giant grizzly bear couldn't rip apart. I simply couldn't cut the thing! After a bunch of yelling, cursing, and scissor-induced hand cramps, I successfully discarded the hip belt and the icepick loop, along with this hook thingy that was supposed to do something that I never figured out. I won. I defeated the daypack and saved myself between $50 and $100. I rule.

When I was describing this to Heather, she thought that by "daypack," I meant "fanny pack" and she didn't understand why I would want to cut off the hip belt. To this, I have two things to say:

1) Heather, Amy is way too cool to ever own a fanny pack (ok, I had one back in the day, but I came to my senses like almost everyone else). I am too cool to even own one of those "not real fanny packs" that Colorado people seem to think are ok just because they are on the trail. Those things are just updated fannypacks, people - they are JUST AS BAD AS THE OLD KIND!

2) If I did own a fanny pack, I would definitely try to alter its form by cutting off its waist strap thing. That may be the only way to make it look completely un-fanny-pack-like.

Anyhow, we are missing the point of this post, which, as previously stated, is that I rule.

5 comments:

heatherfeather said...

i really was confused by

a) the fact you had a fanny pack
b) the idea the removing the strap would help it in any way
c) the fact that in the UK "fanny" means something TOTALLY different (that word in "Get Low" that neither of us can say)

okay c wasn't confusing to me in context, just thought it was an interesting point.

and you rule.

Erik said...

you know what i find really coincidental? the fact that you and i *both* rule, at the same time. statistically, it seems unlikely, but that's what's happening here.

having first-hand knowledge about the satisfaction that comes with ruling, i congratulate you on your achievment. you just cut those things right off of there!!

Yaymee said...

Heather - Don't hint at such words on my blog! I won't tolerate it! Ok, fine, I will.

Erik - I didn't think two people could rule at once, but I guess we have proved me wrong! Maybe it has something to do with our geographic unproximity (or is it disproximity? or maybe nonproximity) If we were both in Denver or both in San Diego, would this mutli-person-ruling be possible?

heatherfeather said...

i like aproximity.

heatherfeather said...

welcome to the wonderful world of comment spam.