Friday, August 26

Leslie Homemaker

Quote of the day (me to my mother who is teaching me to sew):

"You know, Ma, I am no Leslie Homemaker or Sally Homemaker, or whatever her name is. See, I don't even know her name, how am I supposed to thread the sewing machine properly if I don't even know her name?"

So, yes, I am learning to sew. And believe me, I don't know if I have ever been so domestic. I am attempting to make a skirt. A very pretty skirt - brown and green and white. I will show y'all a picture when I am done with this little Leslie Homemaker project.

On the Peace Corps front, I OFFICIALLY got the invitation packet today. I knew I was going to Guinea, but for some reason, it meant a lot to me to have it in writing. It meant so much, I teared up a bit. Those of you who know me well would expect nothing less.

There were moments before that packet arrived that I thought the conversation I had with Echo at the PC was a dream. But now, I know it wasn't a dream. I have the Invitee packet, and it's real.

So, now things to do: go to the dentist for that night guard so I don't ruin my teeth with my grinding at night, get more passport photos for my visas and official PC passport, call the loan people for my legal clearance (stupid student loans!), write my aspiration statement, ummm - I am sure there is more, but I didn't get to finish going through the packet. I do have over 4 months before I leave, though, so I doubt I need to be doing it all tonight.

It's been a good day. Any day someone asks you if you want to move to West Africa is a good day in my book. Maybe not everyone else's book, but certainly in mine.

Good night everyone!

7 comments:

heatherfeather said...

YAY!!! congratulations on the invitation!!!

i'm glad you're busy and not disappeared these days. and i LOVE sewing...

but i love you more.

xox

heatherfeather said...

the funny thing is, i can totally hear you saying that to your mother...

i love you and your mom together - you're great.

Yaymee said...

Thanks, H-dog! I called to accept this morning! So, now I am working on some fun visa forms the like. But tonight, I get to meet an RPCV from Guinea at a PC party! I am so psyched!

heatherfeather said...

that's right - the RPCV party is tonight! did you decide what to bring?

does it have tuna?

or is it dessert?

or is it...both?

Yaymee said...

No tuna. Didn't have time to cook. Instead, I took assorted Syrian cookies that I was actually looking to get rid of. See, I loved them so much, I wouldn't allow myself to eat them (bc the whole box would have been gone). So, I needed to take the to a potluck to get rid of them - it was perfect!

Albouri Ndiaye said...

Thats exciting! congratulations on the invitation you got!
Guinea isnt too far from Senegal. I highly reccomend you take a trip there. By the way did you srr that special on VHI about Dave matthews and Trent (the guy from Phish) trip to Senegal?
The Peacecorps is breaking my balls. they wont they keep coming up with different ways of delaying my placement. This time they said that i need to be on some type of preventive medicine for 3 month before i can be cleared. So they changed my status back to on hold. But it's ok though because my next potential assignmnent was as far as june anyway. I'm still on the train to becoming an official volunteer though, dont worry.
On a brighter side, i went to Boston last weekend and had a blast!!
went to 6 clubs and bars within 2 days and also went to Six Flags!!!!
i had so much fun i can still feel the residue of joy from that trip.
Look foward to seeing pics on my blog soon:)

Anonymous said...

hi! I'm Sara. I found your blog thru google. (is that creepy???) anyway, I got invited to go to guinea as well and I'm trying to locate other volunteers going to the area. I'm leaving in January 06 with the SED program. you can e-mail me at overbysara@yahoo.com if you'd like.