Wednesday, November 9

A New Pineapple

Has anyone else noticed the new emblem on the Building for Hotel, Restaurant, and Tourism Management. Is it just me, or is it a pineapple?

I noticed it today while taking a break outside the library. It made me crack up! I mean - a new beautiful building with a HUGE (and I mean HUGE!) pineapple on the front. Am I the only one who doesn't really get it?

It kinda reminded me of the Barbarini bee. The Barbarini family was a wealthy family in Rome whose signature emblem was the bee. So, on any artwork they commissioned, there is an overabundance of bees (see Bernini's Baldacchino at St. Peter's below - you can see the bees everywhere!) There was also a family that put pinecones everywhere. I forget who they were, but if you see a pinecone in Italy, it was paid for by you-know-who.



























So, if following the Barbarini example, does the pineapple at DU represent some family that donated the cash to DU to build that new building?

Maybe I should decide on an emblem to represent my family. Then I can put it on buildings all over the world, and then generations to come will know who funded it. Or maybe I should put off deciding until I have enough money to build a giant bronze canopy.... maybe that will be my cue to decide on a family emblem.

2 comments:

heatherfeather said...

i have noticed the pineapple.

i've chalked it up to the fact that that building has been strange since they started building it.

first the mystical portal.
then the destruction of said portal.
then the dome
that gets uglier and uglier.
so, while i don't get it, it ain't a big surprise to me, either.

seriously? yqnuoeui? sometimes word verification is out of control.

Yaymee said...

DU continues to baffle me!

I have given up trying to figure it out.