Tuesday, November 29

Phantom Limb Sensation

Last night I had this dream, and it has haunted me throughout the day. Basically, without going into too much detail (because the details make me wanna hurl), I was at the dinner table with my family (mom, dad, grandma) and I was talking to my dad. We were getting ready to eat, and I realized that my pointer finger on my left hand was massively injured (I won't tell you how - that's the super-creepy-gross part). So, my mom finally got my dad to realize and he stopped talking finally. My mom, being a nurse, got her medical kit out and began taking care of me, but it wasn't working. She was using this weird kind of band-aid that could heal anything if you just made the colors line up. But we couldn't get the pink to match the pink and the purple to go to the purple, so I mentally accepted the fact that I was going to loose my finger. I woke up and freaked out! But I still had my finger, fortunately, and I fell back to sleep holding my pointer finger in my other hand to protect it. All day today, I have felt very conscious of my pointer finger. It's almost as if I am surprised it is still there - the dream was just so vivid. But typing this, I am very aware of each key I strike with that finger. It just feels weird to have it actually be there and still working. I guess this is the opposite of what docs call "phantom limb sensation." That's when you loose a limb and still feel it there and still try to use it and such. I still have my finger, but I feel like it's not there. Strange. That's all I have to say. Hopefully this will go away by tomorrow.

1 comment:

Yaymee said...

ohhh - that is horrible! you have this dream often???