Thursday, February 23

Last days of site visit

I walked 2 hours towards Mali on Tuesday night with Fode. We passed baobab trees and cows and many mosques. On our way back into Siguiri, as the sun was couche-ing, we heard the call to prayer. It was the perfect evening, even though I stepped in goat poo, got called “tubabu” 36 times, and tripped over a mango tree root. It will be the perfect bike route once I move here – I have decided to make it all the way to Bamako one day!

Yesterday was the perfect Africa day as well – I took a pirogue (a large canoe) across the Niger from Tiguiberi to Kiniebakoro to visit Rob. We got to see part of the Fete de Conde, where men dress up in straw outfits and flashy masks and chase children around town to the beat of Malinke drumming. The pirogue across the Niger was the most peaceful time I have had here in country. It was exactly as I pictured my life here to be. And the baobab sitting up on the high bank on the Kinibakoro side was the perfect “bienvenu” for us.

Now that I have been to site, I am finding it hard to think of going back to Forecariah. I think it’s because I am scared of forming closer relationships with the stagieres who are heading elsewhere in Guinea. I don’t know how often I will leave haute – I don’t know if there is any reason to ever leave – it’s perfect here. I guess I will leave only to see my friends in the Fouta. I am going to miss them so much.

But I am going to put this thought out of my mind and return to Forecariah not afraid, not already saying goodbye. I hope everyone else will do the same. Either way, this last month with my 37 Americans is going to be….. ummm…. it is going to be.

No comments: