Tuesday, February 21

A note from my new home

Hello from Haute !!

Although it is the hottest region of Guinea, it’s also the best, and according to my Prefect (the head guy around town), Siguiri is the hottest but also the best city in Haute!!

I arrived in Kankan after a long bush taxi ride on Sunday. The taxi was hot and crowded but not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Sarah, Alex, and I shared a taxi with our counterparts – that’s 7 people, including the driver in a compact car. 2 passengers in the front passenger seat and ‘ passengers in the back! We were packed in like sardines in a can of sweat for 8 hours, but it was a great ride! As we left the fouta region of central guinea, the hills became drier and less compact. Just like the guidebooks said, Dabola is reminiscent of an old town in the wild west. But for lunch we didn’t have steaks, we had rice and instead.

As we entered deeper into Haute territory, the hills flattened and the savannah truly began. It's super dry and super hot up here, but the landscape is one I could not have even imagined. Its more amazing than I ever would have thought. And this is my new home.

From Kankan, my CP and I came up to Siguiri, a short 3 hour drive north, during which you cross the Niger. Yes, I have crossed the Niger River, one of the lifelines of Africa. And I will cross it again tomorrow when I walk to Rob’s site, except this time, I will take a hand bridge, whatever that means.

Anyway, let me tell you about Siguiri some more. My CP has introduced me to some great people. He and his colleague at MGE are both great men (and attractive too!) they have made me feel at home, even though I am staying in a transit room in their office. I teared up a bit last night when Fode said he was going to go home; I have come to rely on him so much, I was afraid to be alone!

Today Fode rounded up an entourage of people from the groupement federation to present me to all the local officials. I felt like a celebrity – driving around in a car with people staring, off to meet the big wigs. 1st we met the local sage, an old man dressed in traditional clothing. We presented him with 10 kola nuts and 5000 Guinean Francs (about 1 dollar) to bring us good fortune during my trip and for my work; he said a prayer for us and we were on our way. Then we went to meet the Prefect and the Director of Microrealization for the entire region. The prefect has a daugter living in Arlington and a grandson at St. Cloud, so he and I talked a little hockey. Who would have thought I could talk college hockey to the Prefect of Siguiri? Strange things happen in Guinea! Anyway, we also met the head of police, the mayor, the head of the gendarme, and the head of the military camp. It was a long morning, but i am glad we gdid it. so far everyone seems super welcoming and nice.

Since arriving in Siguiri, I have eaten like a queen, receiving plates of delicious Guinean food from everyone I meet. Rice and sauce, couscous and chicken, fried bananas, oranges, peanuts, rice pudding… and yes, I said chicken. I am truly living like a queen. Tonight, I get to eat ‘TOO’, pronounced ‘toe’, a Haute Guinea specialty! i cant wait!

Even though these days have been stressful, hot and in French, I am the happiest girl alive. Life doesn’t get much better than falling in love, and I am in love with my new home and my new life. I am in the perfect region in the perfect country at the perfect time in my life. I may never come dwn from this Guinea- induced high, unless that spider over there takes another step closer to me!

Love you all. Keep sending those great letters and emails – I appreciate them so much!

I will write again soon.

2 comments:

Albouri Ndiaye said...

I'm glad you are having such a great time! Hopefully the Spider gets stuck in its own web or something

News And Info said...

I very happy for you to visit my country. while there try to have the shea butter massage which is a very good oil. I lived in Maryland for 14 years but I'm from Guinea.